Road Closures & Traffic Updates
Reading Time: 2 minutes
Over the following week there will be several road closures which may affect your journey in and around Birmingham City Centre. These are listed below:
- This weekend, Highways England will be effecting a full closure of the M6 junction 6 and the A38(M) Aston Expressway from 8pm on Friday 5 August to 6am on Monday 8 August. Diversions will be in place. Following this, the Aston Expressway will continue to operate with two lanes open in the out of city direction.
- Also this weekend, essential maintenance to Midland Metro means services will terminate at the Snow Hill stop on Saturday 6 and Sunday 7 August.
- St Chad’s and Queensway tunnels will be closed overnight (11pm to 6am) for maintenance works from Monday 8 August to Thursday 11 August.
- Small Heath Bridge remains closed to traffic (access will be maintained for cyclists and pedestrians).
- In Sheldon, from Monday 8 August: the A45 Coventry Road at the junction with Lily Road will have one lane closed out of city between 9.30am and 3pm for repairs to Gladstone subway; Church Road, between Brays Road and Stanville Road, remains closed for resurfacing works.
- Works continue at Paradise with specific road and pedestrian diversions in place.
Full details are available at www.birmingham.gov.uk/connected
In addition, drivers are reminded that Average Speed Cameras are due to be switched on from Monday 8 August at five locations in Birmingham. More information at www.birmingham.gov.uk/speedcameras
While the works above have been scheduled to minimise disruption and keep the city centre open for business, we are advising everyone to plan ahead for travel and use public transport, walk or cycle whenever possible.
Details of fantastic bus, train and tram special summer holiday ticket offers together with journey planning are available at www.networkwestmidlands.com
You can also earn rewards for walking, cycling or using public transport by using the BetterPoints rewards app – it’s free and easy to join. Go to www.betterpoints.uk for more information.